Hawn outpointed a game Brent Weedman by scores of 29-28, 30-27 and 30-27 to win the eight-man competition at Bellator 70, which took place tonight at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.
Additionally, Luis Nogueira advanced to the finals of the bantamweight tournament with an impressive KO of Hiroshi Nakamura, and heavyweight champ Cole Konrad skated through his first title defense.
Hawn struggled early on with the persistent striking attack of fellow former welterweight Weedman, who expertly used body and leg kicks to take the steam from his punches. A lead right hand for Hawn scored frequently in the second, though Weedman kept pressing forward.
In the clinch, Hawn’s Judo was matched with Weedman’s muay Thai, and his trips were met with knees to the body. But it was in that position that he eventually would lay the groundwork for a lead in the scorecards.
A trip in the third frame saw Hawn spend valuable time in top position dishing out sporadic flurries of ground and pound as Weedman tried to escape. When he did, not enough time was left to make up a deficit in points.
Meanwhile, it was a foregone conclusion that when heavyweight champ Cole Konrad got his arms around Eric Prindle, the fight would go to the mat. What wasn’t known was whether Prindle would be able to defend himself from the bottom and return to his feet.
The answer came just 60 seconds into first round when Konrad cranked a kimura that saw a grimacing Prindle tap after being dumped to the mat in a flash. The champ barely worked up a sweat.
The full Bellator 70 results included:
MAIN CARD (MTV2)
- Rick Hawn (pictured) def. Brent Weedman via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Champ Cole Konrad def. Eric Prindle via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 1:00
- Luis Nogueira def. Hiroshi Nakamura via KO (punches) – Round 3, 1:58
- Rich Clementi def. Derek Campos via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:18
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com)
- A.J. Matthews def. Charlie Rader via KO (kick) – Round 2, 3:34
- Jonas Billstein def. Mike Seal via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:55
- Derek Arcement def. Blake Dufour via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Kelvin Tiller def. Jeremiah Riggs via submission (verbal) – Round 3, 3:38
London Fight Store