Hatton announced he would be making a comeback last week, despite not having fought for over three years and formally confirming his retirement from the sport in 2011.
And Calzaghe, who himself retired in 2009 as only the twelfth undefeated world champion, believes 33-year-old Hatton is putting himself at risk by returning.
“It’s dangerous and especially when you’re in your 30s. It has to be a worry,” said the Welshman.
“Personally I like Ricky, I’ve known him for many years and the last thing I’d like to see is him getting hurt.”
Calzaghe is not the first big name in boxing to voice his concerns over Hatton’s comeback. Promoter Frank Warren also said no-one should be encouraging the Mancunian to fight again.
“I’d prefer Ricky not to box. He’s not going to get any better at the age of 33, but it’s his decision.
“He’s returned to the gym and that has given him focus and direction, but I’d rather he stay there training and not fight.
“No-one should be encouraging him to return and I just hope it doesn’t wind up being a big disappointment for him.”
Hatton is due to make his boxing comeback on November 24 at Manchester’s MEN Arena, but an opponent has yet to be announced.
London Fight Store